United Biscuits supports local charities through partnership with In Kind Direct
13 May 2015: United Biscuits (UB) has donated 132 pallets of products including McVitie’s and Jacob’s with an estimated retail value of over £179,000. This is part of an ongoing partnership with In Kind Direct who redistributes surplus goods from manufacturers and retailers to a network of UK charities. The donations from UB have benefited 874 UK charities to date
There have been many charities in the North West that have benefited from this partnership, including the group Good Companions. The charity has received a variety of biscuits and snacks donated by UB, which it uses to make up packs for disabled people in the local community who cannot make the group.
Julie Humphreys, founding member of Good Companions, said “In Kind Direct has definitely helped us save money as we are able to make packs for those who are not well enough to make to our group and who are not well off money wise and find it a struggle.”
Mike Howells, Head of Operations at UB, commented, “United Biscuits is committed to supporting charitable organisations across the UK. We have been especially pleased to work in partnership with In Kind Direct, who distributes our biscuits to non-profit organisations and enterprises, whose great work we continue to support.”
For further information please contact Matilda Kent, Communications Executive at United Biscuits
Tel: 0208 234 5822
About United Biscuits:
United Biscuits (UB) is a leading international biscuit manufacturer whose baking heritage goes back generations, with many recipes passed down since the 1800s. UB bakes some of the best loved sweet and savoury biscuits and cakes that are household names in their respective markets; supported by a strong culture of innovation to continually develop snack brands. Among UB’s popular brand names are McVitie’s, Penguin, go ahead!, McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s, Jacob’s Cream Crackers, Twiglets, Mini Cheddars and Carr’s in the UK, BN, Delacre, Verkade and Sultana in Continental Europe and Haansbro in Nigeria.
As the leading manufacturer and marketer of biscuits in the UK and second largest in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Ireland, the company owns and operates 16 manufacturing facilities, of which seven are in the UK and has a strong footprint for growth, with products sold in over 130 countries.
UB is owned by Yildiz Holding – Owner of the master brands Ülker, McVitie’s and Godiva, Yildiz is a global, snacking focused food company with over 320 brands in 49 different categories. With 77 factories in 14 countries, the company exports to 100+ countries and operates in a geography housing around 4 billion people. Yildiz is the world’s 3rd largest biscuits’ company and employs 48,000 people around the world.
About In Kind Direct:
- In Kind Direct provides a one-stop solution for companies with goods to donate, providing the infrastructure to accept large quantities of goods and then store, sort and deliver them directly to charities in its network.
- In Kind Direct was founded by HRH The Prince of Wales in 1996. Since then In Kind Direct has distributed £135 million worth of goods from 1,000 companies.
- Over 7,000 UK based community and voluntary organisations have received products from In Kind Direct, helping millions of people in need every year.
- In Kind Direct supports a hugely diverse range of charities, including: youth charities; disabled groups; community nurseries; hospices; overseas development charities; homeless shelters; refuges; and elderly welfare groups.
- Charities, not-for-profit organisations, social enterprises and community groups can all register for free via the website www.inkinddirect.org to benefit from the service.
- Individuals and companies interested in supporting In Kind Direct should visit inkinddirect.org to find out more.