McVitie’s reveal nation’s dunking habits to celebrate National Biscuit Day
- Biscuit poll lifts the lid on UK’s biscuit-dunking habits – with Digestives chosen as Brits’ favourite dunker
- Nearly a quarter of the UK dunk daily, with Newcastle and Belfast dunking most frequently
- McVitie’s launches Great British Dunk Off to mark National Biscuit Day (29th May)
26 May 2016: To celebrate National Biscuit Day (29 May) United Biscuits (UB), a leading international manufacturer of biscuits, snacks and cakes, has released new research from McVitie’s that reveals the dunking habits of Brits – including a surge in popularity of dunking amongst younger generations, with nearly 20% more young people dunking now than people aged over 55.
The McVitie’s research shows that eight out of ten 18-34 year olds (82%) now dunk their biscuits in to hot drinks, compared to six out of every ten people aged 55 or over (63%). Of these dunkers, a quarter of them profess to daily dunking (24%), with one in ten men (11%) dunking throughout the whole day.
Newcastle and Belfast were revealed to be the biggest dunkers, dunking at least once a day (28%), closely followed by biscuit devotees in London (27%). The census also unearthed that those who are dating are most likely to dunk more than once a day (13%) compared to those who are single or married. As for professions, the two biggest dunkers are builders or construction workers (27%) and those who work in financial services (22%), with around a quarter of each dunking daily.
When asked which biscuit they think makes the best dunker, respondents crowned Digestives their King of the dunk, with Digestives taking 34% of the vote, followed by Rich Tea in second and Ginger Nuts, Milk Chocolate Digestives and Hobnobs taking the final spots in the top five.
Meanwhile, people’s choice of hot drink seems to affect their dunking biscuit of choice, with coffee and tea drinkers opting for Digestives, fruit tea drinkers choosing Rich Tea biscuits and flavoured green tea drinkers picking Ginger Nuts.
Kerry Owens, McVitie’s Brand Director, says: “A cup of tea and a biscuit is one of life’s simple pleasures, so we’re not surprised that biscuits and dunking continue to be one of our country’s great traditions – although we are pleasantly surprised to see how much it is growing in popularity! National Biscuit Day is all about celebrating the humble biscuit and putting a smile on people’s faces. Through The Great British Dunk Off we want to take the simple dunk and make it even more fun, and make an everyday moment just that little bit better.”
The Great British Dunk Off:
To mark this resurgence in dunking, McVitie’s is celebrating National Biscuit Day (29 May) by launching ‘The Great British Dunk Off’ (#GBDO) – a call to arms to see if the Great British public dare to dunk against the official findings of Dr. Stuart Farrimond, scientist and resident McVitie’s dunking expert, who has scientifically proven the most amount of dunks we can hope to get from our favourite biscuits.
Dr. Stuart Farrimond says: “There is certainly an art to biscuit dunking and with it having such cultural significance in Britain, it’s important we all know how to get the best out of our favourite biscuits. We want to see if Brits, who are clearly dunking experts, can take on my findings and beat the numbers I have set.”
For example, Digestives only have a shelf life of two dunks despite being the UK’s favourite dunker, while Rich Tea can still survive up to an impressive 14 dunks! Biscuit-lovers across the country will be challenged to ‘dunk off’ against one another this weekend to see if they have what it takes to beat the official numbers – more details can be found on the McVitie’s social media channels.
Biscuits in popular culture:
As well as preferences and frequency, McVitie’s research has also revealed some very unique traits of biscuit eating culture in Britain:
- The top three movies Brits most like to watch with a hot drink and biscuit were all written by Richard Curtis; Love Actually, Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill – all of which feature Hugh Grant
The three top male movie stars chosen by Brits to have a hot drink and biscuit with are all Knights; Sir Michael Caine, Sir Sean Connery and Sir Ian McKellen – beating a number of up and coming young stars including Idris Elba and Benedict Cumberbatch
- Two of the top three female movie stars chosen by the public to enjoy a hot drink and biscuit with are Dames including Dame Judi Dench and Dame Helen Mirren – Julie Walters came in top however – could a Damehood be on the cards?
- Baking and biscuits remain natural partners when it comes to TV shows – the Great British Bake Off tops the list as the TV series Brits would most like to watch with a hot drink and a biscuit, beating cult favourites such as Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones
- 61% of Brits own a biscuit tin nowadays, with the city of Norwich the biggest lover of biscuit tins in the UK!
- Bankers and builders share the same favourite biscuit – the humble Jaffa Cake, while Lawyers say that their favourite biscuit is a Milk Chocolate Hobnob
- Teachers, Doctors, Nurses, Firemen and Policemen however have revealed that their favourite biscuit is a Chocolate Digestive
For further press information contact the McVitie’s team at 3 Monkeys Zeno:
Tel: 020 7009 3100 or email: McVities@3monkeyszeno.com
Research from One Poll on behalf of McVitie’s from 2,000 respondents, May 2016
* Research from One Poll on behalf of McVitie’s from 2,000 respondents, May 2014
Notes to editor
The Great British Dunk Off rules
On Sunday 29 May the UK will celebrate National Biscuit Day – a day dedicated to one of the UK’s best loved treats, especially when dunked into a hot cuppa. To help mark the day and as a nod to the nation’s love to dunk, McVitie’s are launching The Great British Dunk Off – a call to see who can make their tea/ coffee and biscuit combo last the longest and who will dare to dunk? This McVitie’s hamper is for you to try and beat the official ‘dunk numbers’ set by resident McVitie’s dunking expert, Dr. Stuart Farrimond – check out the record dunks (scientifically proven) below:
1. Rich Tea: Fourteen dunks
2. Chocolate Digestive: Eight dunks
3. Digestive: Two dunks
4. Hobnob: Two dunks
5. Ginger Nut: Two dunks
The #GBDO rules:
1. Challenge a friend or a loved one to a ‘dunk-off’
2. Use the mugs provided and prepare a cup of your favourite hot drink
3. Prepare your biscuit of choice and get ready to dunk…
4. Dunk each biscuit (4 seconds per dunk) as many times as possible and whoever lasts the longest (still being able to eat the biscuit without it dropping in to their drink) – wins!
We’d love to know how your McVitie’s biscuit fared and if you broke any of Dr Stu’s records; Film your dunk off and post along with any snaps you take and share on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram. Simply tag @McVities on Twitter, @McVitiesOfficial on Facebook and use the hashtags #NationalBiscuitDay, #GBDO and #McVities on Instagram
Dare to dunk…?
About United Biscuits
United Biscuits (UB) is a leading international biscuit manufacturer whose baking heritage goes back generations, with many recipes passed down since the 1800s. UB bakes some of the best loved sweet and savoury biscuits and cakes that are household names in their respective markets; supported by a strong culture of innovation to continually develop snack brands. Among UB’s popular brand names are McVitie’s, Penguin, go ahead!, McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s, Jacob’s Cream Crackers, Twiglets, Mini Cheddars and Carr’s in the UK, BN, Delacre, Verkade and Sultana in Continental Europe and Haansbro in Nigeria.
As the leading manufacturer and marketer of biscuits in the UK and second largest in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Ireland, the company owns and operates 16 manufacturing facilities, of which seven are in the UK and has a strong footprint for growth, with products sold in over 130 countries.
UB is owned by Yildiz Holding – Owner of the master brands Ülker, McVitie’s and Godiva, Yildiz is a global, snacking focused food company with over 320 brands in 49 different categories. With 77 factories in 14 countries, the company exports to 100+ countries and operates in a geography housing around 4 billion people. Yildiz is the world’s 3rd largest biscuits company and employs 50,000 people around the world. https://english.yildizholding.com.tr/