United Biscuits celebrates centenary at Jacob’s Aintree factory
United Biscuits (UB), the UK’s leading manufacturer of biscuits, is this year celebrating 100 years at its Jacob’s factory in Aintree. The site was the first Jacob’s factory in England, built as the Jacob’s brand expanded on its Irish roots, and remains the primary producer of Jacob’s products in the UK, including Cream Crackers and Twiglets.
The site, which opened in 1914, produces more than 55,000 tonnes of products every year. The factory has played a crucial role in Britain’s love of Jacob’s Cream Crackers, which remain the fastest and best-selling crackers in the UK, with over 1.4 billion consumed in 2013. The site is not just home to the Cream Cracker, but has also been integral to the development and expansion of many Jacob’s products, including the Biscuits For Cheese selections and Oddities. In 2013, the latter was voted Savoury Snack Product of the Year.
Kevin McGurk, Group Supply Chain Director at United Biscuits, said: “Our Aintree factory has played a crucial role in the success of Jacob’s, and the broader business of United Biscuits. It is the home of Jacob’s, and with around half of all British households buying Jacob’s crackers, it has national as well as local significance. As a local manufacturer, we think it is important to give something back to the community, which is why we play an active role with local primary and secondary schools and support the Aintree Fair Share scheme.”
The landmark year for the site coincides with the re-launch of Jacob’s under the new masterbrand, which includes an ongoing £10 million advertising campaign. UB will continue to focus on innovation and brand support for Jacob’s into 2015 and beyond, as part of its goal to grow the savoury category in the UK and increase Jacob’s share of this market.
Notes to Editors:
For further press information contact the team at 3 Monkeys Communications:
Tel: 020 7009 310 / Email: UnitedBiscuitsCorp@3-monkeys.co.uk
About United Biscuits:
- United Biscuits is the leading manufacturer and marketer of biscuits in the UK and second largest in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Ireland.
- United Biscuits manufacturers and markets a wide range of products in the UK and Continental Europe that are household names in their respective markets.
- United Biscuits owns and operates 12 manufacturing facilities of which 7 are in the UK.
- United Biscuits’ branded biscuits were purchased by 95% of UK households in 2013.
- Among United Biscuits’ popular brand names are McVitie’s, Jacob’s and go ahead! which include a wide variety of sweet, savoury and healthier biscuits that cover all snacking occasions.
- At over 180 years old, McVitie’s is among the best known brands in the UK and is bought by 4 out of 5 households.
- UB owns and operates 12 manufacturing facilities of which seven are in the UK.